Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pass the Ben-Gay

This is it. I'm 30 years old today. So far, it's been a pretty uneventful day. I didn't sleep very soundly last night because Mr. Kolby was in Syracuse for work, and my imagination tends to run wild when I'm alone in the dark. So, last evening, it was just me, the two rat terriers and the fat cat. Because of my imagination I have to sleep with the television on and facing the bedroom door. I only do this when I'm alone, and I think it stems from the effect watching Poltergeist had on me when I was 6. I had to check under the bed for months - you know, for clowns.

I woke up at 6:40 this morning with a headache and a pain in my butt. Honestly, I think I pulled a muscle near my tailbone. So, I have an actual pain in my ass. I can't even begin to imagine what I must have done in my sleep to tweak an ass tendon (or whatever I've got back there - I've never really bothered to examine the anatomy of my rear end). I guess this is what happens as we age - I just never expected it to happen so quickly.

So, I took the day off today. I'm just laying around, which is what I was planning on doing anyway, but now that it's all I can do, it's not so fab. The dogs are ecstatic to have a warm body to snuggle against on a Wednesday, and I'm hoping Mr. Kolby will sneak out of work early to take me out for some shopping and a little Japanese.

In the meantime, I've come up with a list of things I would like to accomplish while I'm 30:

  1. Have a baby. It's about time, and all my friends are doing it!
  2. Move. To anywhere but here. Both Mr. Kolby and I have decided to start shopping around for new jobs. New York is great, but not if you're just starting out.
  3. Start reading regularly again. I've gotten away from reading for fun since I started working in government, and I miss losing myself in a good story. Plus, anything that will prevent my brain from shrinking further is definitely a worthwhile endeavor.
  4. Start working out again. This may be the most difficult goal on my list, because I'm really fucking lazy these days. I mean, I'm not overweight or anything, but I would like to get into a size two again. Then again, if I accomplish item #1 soon....

7 comments:

Kara said...

Happy Birthday you old hag! Seriously though, if Mr. Kolby can't make it home early I'd be happy to take the birthday girl out.

litelysalted said...

Happy Birthday, Kolby!

As Ranylt said to me just a short six months ago: "Gooble gobble, gooble gobble one of us! One of us!"

TK said...

Well, shit.

I totally didn't realize I was older than you.

Happy Birthday... and be careful, fer Chrissakes.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the death of your twenties.

Regarding babies: Be careful what you wish for as it may happen sooner than you think. Little A starting forming in my womb about two weeks after my 30th birthday.

Kolby said...

Thanks everyone. Muah!

Manda - that would be great. We've been trying for almost six months.

Anonymous said...

Funny junk; I think conception in my case was almost six months after I stopped ingesting the Pill. Bam!

I send you good fertility vibes.

Anonymous said...

I love you just for saying "hate the player" publicly. The rest of this blog is gravy.

Be glad you're not in yr 20s any longer. You will shortly realize most people's 20s are lame. Maybe you want to relax and enjoy some 30s before parenthood, but I get it, there's a time limit.

I'd add a question for you Albany people but not here in the birthday congratulations page. I see no direct e-mail link, oh well.

Happy graduation.